Tuesday, September 20, 2016

01D Underrepresented American History Trivia Program

Hi 01D Parents,

I wanted to update all of you on a fun program we did this past Wednesday. During my time as a history teacher, I've found that state curriculum typically ignores the accomplishments of people of color and women in American history. In an attempt to celebrate some of these accomplishments, I hosted a trivia night on 9/14 for our wing's students to compete in. The wing was broken up into three teams (Sophomores, Juniors and Seniors) and they competed to answer the most trivia questions. It was a close race but in the end the Seniors pulled ahead and won the trivia night. The students had a great time and learned a lot about the accomplishments of some men and women who typically get ignored when discussing our nation's history.

I've posted some sample questions below if you are interested in seeing how much you know:

What woman helped reform the prison system and created the first generation of American mental asylums?
Who was the gay rights activist who started the “It Gets Better” campaign?
Who was the first African American elected to the Supreme Court?
What island was often referred to as the Ellis Island of the West due to the high number of immigrants who were processed there?
Which civil rights activist co-founded the National Farm Workers?
Which Olympic athlete is considered the greatest all-around athlete of all time, despite having his Olympic medals revoked?


Thanks,

Joe Mastrocola
01D RC

No comments:

Post a Comment